6/24/09 - Technorati Invasion

Enter Delasia: 11:15PM

Run Faster! I pushed the limits of my physical ability as I ran down a computer-filled corridor, under hot pursuit by Technorati agents, members of a “multinational security agency” with enough money and power to conquer just about anything. Looking back for only a moment, I caught a glimpse of the agents, each equipped with body armor and a large pistol on their belt. I’d hate to fall into the hands of these guys.
The exact intent of this company was unknown to me, but taking over North America seemed to be the obvious objective. The greatest fear was the company’s military, which loomed over nervous U.S. citizens with its unnerving secrecy and massive firepower. This company didn’t release any of it’s information to the public, so I was sent by the MSA (Modern Spy Agency) to infiltrate the network and find out exactly what was going on behind their closed doors and what the intentions were for all the military equipment that had been parading around U.S. streets for some time now. From what I’d heard, this company doesn’t hire people, it abducts them. The smartest of the smart are taken away from normal life and brought to work inside the massive building, which had a housing unit attached to it for such a purpose. However, Technorati didn’t have to worry about governments of any kind, for every base was considered it’s own country and the company held more political power than any other nation.
It was day one of my mission, I arrived near the Technorati base by parachute drop and waiting for nightfall, I got my equipment ready and ate a hearty meal. When the time came I entered through a newly made hole in the glass-roof and lowered myself down by a rope. It was a large warehouse-like building with rows and rows of computers stacked about two stories high---my job was simply to bypass any chance at peaceful negotiations and retrieve needed files through a network hub, which was located somewhere in the building. My feet hit the cold cement floor and I unhooked myself from the carabineer at the end of the rope. This will be a cinch, I thought to myself. Considering the circumstances, the mission seemed to be off to a good start---after all, shouldn’t the biggest “security agency” have all kinds of security? Before I had even finished my thought I was spotted by a computer repairman getting ready to head home. Being unarmed, I was unable to reach him before he pulled a nearby alarm. The dark building was immediately illuminated with a red glow as sirens began to wail announcing my presence. I was standing in the middle of a crossroads between isles of computers and agents dressed in black began to approach me from all directions, except for one! I took the only opportunity to get away and so my pursuit began.
This was obviously a forbidden zone, as indicated by the less than cordial tone of the guards close behind me yelling “Halt!”. Yeah, right… Although I was slowly outrunning them, fatigue was quickly overcoming me. In addition, there was only one direction to run, away from the agents down the enormous row of computers. After sliding quickly around a corner, I realized my luck had run out, there was a dead end in front of me. Climbing the slippery face-plates of the computers seemed unlikely, and so there I stood in the middle of the row, my fate awaiting me. Before the agents could arrive, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Whether by friend or foe, I was yanked backwards into a hidden compartment among the computers!
I fell on my back into the room and whoever had grabbed me quickly shut the door, muffling the loud cry of sirens. It was too dark to see anything, but I figured that anywhere was probably better than with the agents which were soon to be outside. Groping around the room, I could feel that it was no larger than a closet. Stumbling to my feet, I backed up against the far wall, still tired from the run and nervous about who had taken me into this room? *Tear* *Click* *Snap* a green radiance was emitted from a small glow stick in the hand of another.
“Are you MSA?” she whispered. “Yes” I replied. “I’m Bree, MSA, been hiding out for 2 months. Nice to have someone here that’s not looking to kill me. Shhh… Be quiet now” she said. Bree took my hand and held it as we waited in the dim light; for it was stressful being unsure if we would emerge from the small container alive. Agents and their “search robots” could be faintly heard on the other side of the door, probably analyzing the area, perplexed as to the nature of my disappearance---a search which went on for hours. After waiting quite a while, we both reclined in the closet to get some rest---hoping to wake up alive.

Once a while had passed I awoke and listened to the door for any noise whatsoever. There was no alarm sounding, no beeping of search robots, and no agents making audible noises. All I could hear was Bree, who was also in the process of waking up. “You’re on the intelligence mission to get the Technorati network files aren’t you?” she asked slowly after a big yawn. “How did you know?” I asked. “I’m on the same mission, and was assigned to make a hideaway and wait for you here” she responded. “Great work” I added. “Bree, the mission. It’s quite obvious that the Technorati depend on their computers, perhaps knocking them out would be the easiest way to dismantle this company.” I stated. “Stick to the file recovery, leave the ‘company dismantling’ to the authorities” Bree replied. “What authorities, this company is the authority, we need to take it out” and with that, I got up and left the hideaway. “I need you with me Bree” I called to her. “I’ve got a lot more experience in this building than you do. One false move and we’re going to need more than a hideaway to get us out. Let’s be careful”

Walking back down the hallway, I saw a large reactor. “This must be the power source” she said. I turned it off and the whole warehouse went black. “We win.” I said confidently. She reached for a glowstick and we made our way to the front door. Mission Accomplished, but was it really?
Termination: Alarm Clock 6:00AM
W:0 X:1 Y:0 Z:0 B:0

No comments:

Post a Comment